Tuesday 22 February 2011

Why buy the book?

I need to focus my thoughts somehow. I'm being interviewed tomorrow and I need to be able to say why Gilbert deserves to be written about today and why my book deserves to be read. So why...?

Because it's the centenary of Gilbert's death this year. He died on 29 May 1911 after a life of success and defiance.

Because he deserves to be better known. He achieved so much, satire, lyrics, blah....

Because previous biographies, great though some of them are, don't provide an explanation of who Gilbert was and and the nature of his character. He tends to get simplified to a caricature of a gruff, bluff old buffer. He's usually seen at the height of his G&S fame when he was rich and comfortable. So what did he have to be grumpy about? But my book shows a different story, and a comprehensible one--a very familiar one also, I might add. Angry young man sets out writing satires against the hypocrisy and greed of his age. Gains a reputation on the strength of this. He continues to write satires against the, etc. People grow weary of the satire. Almost by chance he hits on a winning formula (with Sullivan). Fame and riches. He is no longer young, no longer angry. He becomes a pillar of the establishment that he used to mock. The angry young man is still within him, and sometimes rumbles and expresses himself, but he is almost smothered in the folds of respectability. In my view his story is a kind of tragedy of success.

Not sure if I can say this in the interview. But this is pretty much the kernel of it.

Why buy the book? It's very well written, it's entertaining, it's funny (of course it is, Gilbert was funny, and I tell a lot of the stories as well as I can). What else is there to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment