Friday 21 January 2011

The Katisha Question

I don't have much to say today. I really should be doing other things which I've been putting off. But I do want to post this link, which will take you to a copy of an extensive essay about Gilbert's portrayal of women in his works. I wrote it about five years ago in an attempt to deal with this very prickly issue honestly and fairly. I read a good deal of feminist criticism in the course of writing it, because it seemed to me that I had to take fair account of attitudes that had sprung up since it first began to be suggested that Gilbert's treatment of middle-aged women in his operas was distasteful and wrong. The essay is called "Not Pretty--Massive; or, Katisha is a Feminist Issue". And that's all I have to say just now.

http://gilbertslemurs.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment