Tuesday 5 April 2011

The book is unleashed

In a way I rather like the fact that practically no one is reading this blog. It takes the pressure off so much, and allows me to try out ideas. The book is now effectively published, even though the official launching date is at the beginning of May. Amazon is showing it as available. It is all rather frightening in that respect. I've been in contact practically all afternoon with someone in Marketing at The History Press; BBC Radio Scotland is showing an interest and I may be interviewed for two different programmes--one of them live!! The Sunday Express is taking a review copy, and The Stage, and probably others. I have a double attitude to this. I am very very keen for reviews in the proper papers, because it's the reviews, as far as I'm concerned, that publicise the book and lead to sales. But at the same time who knows what the fiends will say? I am aware that I myself have not proved very effective in organising publicity for the book. No interest in articles that I myself have suggested to others. But publicity is happening, not just organised by the publishers but also by friends and well-wishers. Ian Bradley apparently has written an article for History Today next month which refers to my book extensively. I also have another stupid idea, which however I am tinkering at because it might possibly work--a compilation of killer quotations from Gilbert. Things like this, from the opera Ruddigore: "Ah, you've no idea what a poor opinion I have of myself, and how little I deserve it." Or this, from a letter to The Times:

"In the face of Saturday the officials of the [London and North-Western Railway] company stand helpless and appalled. This day, which recurs at stated and well-ascertained intervals, is treated as a phenomenon entirely outside the ordinary operations of nature, and, as a consequence, no attempt whatever is made to grapple with its inherent difficulties. To the question, 'What has caused the train to be so late?' the officials reply, 'It is Saturday' — as who should say, 'It is an earthquake.' "


And there's more, much more, where that came from.....

No comments:

Post a Comment